The Economic Empowerment Chief Directorate can simply be delineated as composed of four strategic functions al Directorates: B-BBEE Operations B-BBEE Compliance, Women Economic Empowerment, and Youth Economic Empowerment.
The Chief Directorate derives its mandate from a number of Legislations, Policies, Strategies, and in particular from Section 217 of South African Constitutional Act 108 of 1996 which prescribe for economic transformation in general, and empowerment of target group in particular. .
To create enabling environment for economic transformation and empowerment of the previously disadvantaged individuals and groups (especially women and youth) to participate in the mainstream of the Provincial economy.
The Chief Directorate continues to pursue the following strategic objectives in KZN:
- Influencing the empowerment of women, and youth;
- Implementing of Economic Empowerment policies and strategies;
- Providing strategic co-ordination and facilitation of key stakeholders;
- Ensuring compliance to economic empowerment policies and strategies by both government, private sector and the society at large.
- Creating an enabling environment for B-BBEE Deals, Markets and partnerships;
- Conducting B-BBEE research/verification, monitoring, and evaluation
- Designing and manage Economic Empowerment systems to enable access to opportunities.
- Identifying priority growth sectors and procurement opportunities with the intention of facilitating entry by target group.